Stonefruits are in season and I received my first batch of fresh apricots in my CSA box this week. It was soooooo hard to not just eat them all right then and there. But I resisted…mainly because there were also nectarines in the box and those were already soft and juicy-ripe-get-in-your-mouth-right-now. The apricots had to wait a day or two…okay, I only got them yesterday, I can’t wait.
Which means they needed to be cooked since they weren’t entirely ripe and I wanted to eat them now!
- 2 fresh apricots, halved and pitted
- 1 Tbl coconut oil
- 4 macadamia nuts, roasted and salted
- 1 Tbl almond butter
- Whipped cream
- Whatever bottle of red wine you have open
- In a saucepan, melt the coconut oil over high heat, place the apricots in the pan cut side down.
- Move the apricots around to keep them from sticking, but you want to try and keep the char on the fruit.
- When the fruit is browned and starting to char, add a splash of red wine to deglaze the pan and finish steaming the fruit, add more wine if it evaporates before the fruit is soft (to whatever degree you want it to be soft).
- Plate each apricot half with a small dollop of almond butter, chopped macadamia nuts, and a splash of whipped cream.
- Serve warm.